Full course description
In January 2021, Ohio Governor Mike DeWine signed HB436 into law. Of the mandates in this new Dyslexia law, two are significant for Ohio teachers:
- Schools must screen all kindergarten students for dyslexia, and
- Schools must provide dyslexia-related professional development for teachers.
This relevant workshop will cover the following four elements:
- An overview of HB436
- The Dyslexia Guidebook produced by the Ohio Dyslexia Committee
- An introduction to Structured Literacy (SL), a.k.a. Orton-Gillingham (OG), the approved approach for teaching students with dyslexia
- The elements of a basic dyslexia screener. This workshop is also useful for parents whose child/children have recently been identified as having dyslexia.
Targeted Audience: Classroom teachers (PK-5), Classroom teachers (4-9), Preschool teachers, general public, reading teachers and reading specialists who do not already have certification in the Structured Literacy/OG approach.
Terri Hessler, PhD
Course Opens for Viewing: 6/8/2022
Course Runtime: 6/15/2022 - 7/13/2022
This course will have asynchronous and synchronous components.
Required Live Sessions:
For your schedule, please note we will meet synchronously in our online course from 9:45am - 12:15pm on the following days:
Wednesdays: 6/15, 6/22, 6/29, 7/6, and 7/13
*Please log in to the course prior to our synchronous start time to review any course related information.
Phonics and Word Study For the Teaching of Reading: Programmed for Self-Instruction (11th ed)
Author: Barbara J. Fox
Dropping and Refunds
Enrollees will be refunded, if they drop at least 5 business days prior to the workshop start date. No refunds can be provided after this period.